Minnamurra has a long history of outstanding sporting achievements but our core business in physical education is to enable students to develop competent skills and positive attitudes towards physical activity that will develop lifelong habits of participation. The experiences students have at Minnamurra P.S. impact significantly on attitudes and practices in later life. Hence we strive to ensure that the experiences in physical activity are positive in order to achieve this aim.
Our programs aim at including the following components to meet the needs of our students:
• activity levels are high for the majority of the session
• there is an emphasis on fun
• activities cater for students’ needs
• a safe environment is provided for participation
• the development of fundamental movement skills is emphasised
• activities include variety and challenge
• unstructured play activities are included
• the atmosphere of the lesson is non-threatening
• differing methods of class organisation are used
• opportunities for interschool competition is provided
• opportunities for representing different sports is provided
• links to community sports organisations are encouraged.
Students have opportunities to be involved in physical education at the following times:
• PE lessons with a focus on skill development
• sports day sessions of approximately 1 hour
• local school gala days
• state knockout competitions in a variety of sports for boys and girls
• carnivals – swimming, cross country and athletics
• representative selection trials
• promotional sports sessions, eg. Aussie Rules, Cricket, League, Football, etc.
• team training sessions
• lesson breaks including recess and lunch.